The way I work - Photoshop Part

by 12:33 PM 23 Things you said
I've been impressed that some people asked for how I proceed to create these animations. So for my fellow bloggers and visitors, I'm going to show everything to you ... which will make you realise that what I do isn't finally that great at all! haha!

In the case that you want to draw ninja turtles, the first step is that, you have to be a kid and watch many Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies or TV shows and, if possible, enjoy it!

Then, once it's done, don't draw them right away and wait at least 12 years until you are about to turn 25 and feel nostalgic about your childhood. This should motivate you enough to begin to draw them for yourself and for free ... and to become better at drawing of course!

It's without a surprise that I begin with a sketch of what I'll paint, as I'm totally bad with line arts (so far) I tend to draw very simple things.




Then, I put a background, in this case, as the character is the most important part and that we don't really take a lot of time watching the rest. So, I will often use brushes that will give a good texture to let know at least where the character is. From that, I can also know which kind of lighting I will use.


That should be enough to guide me well in the color positioning as for the moment, I simply apply some flat colors as you can see on the weapon and the hand. I begin slowly to apply the main light (on the face and body). I will often use a layer with light colors and put an overlay effect to help me create a good palette of colors.

From there, it's mostly just a game of patience where I will add little colors changes here and there. If I can give you a good trick, NEVER give up your work ... even though you don't like it, finish it and polish it! It might end up not as bad as you think and at least, you will learn from it.

When I feel that my colors fit well, I begin to apply the effects and little details. I feel it's not really useful to spend too much time on the details at first as everything will be changing through your drawing process.

You can go see the final result on the post below where it's already animated or by clicking HERE and/or HERE.

To finish, that's just the way I work, I don't consider myself being pro at it as the total drawing took me 4 hours ... and a pro might do it in around 1 hour I guess. This was mostly to show you how I draw and some advice I've learned through my own experience!

Leave a comment

I will write the After Effect part another day as I've got other things to do right now!
And because this post is already long enough I guess!

Francis Caron

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

23 Things you said:

Carles said...

omg you ahve really good skill, and the animated version is amazing!

Marc D said...

Wow! That's amazing!

InterWebzCommander said...

you can never go wrong with a ninja turtle...

paulz said...

Good work :) absolutely amazing!

Brofessor Neeko said...

Some nice art and PS skills, wow!

Brofessor Neeko said...

Some nice art and PS skills, wow!

Brofessor Neeko said...

Some nice art and PS skills, wow!

Brofessor Neeko said...

Some nice art and PS skills, wow!

Stephen said...

Amazing. You're truly skilled!

Sammy said...

Amazing man, im jealous!

Jesse Crows said...

you are a very talented individual

ZKMin said...

Very amazing!

Feindbild said...

You are an amazing artist, thank you for sharing :)

NuyoricanGuy said...

Awesome skills bro! I've been using PS for years and I'm still a n00b at it haha

Makel said...

Looks really good!

Anonymous said...

I like how this one came out. And thanks for sharing your process!

therocksays said...

do you do any other cartoons?

Francis Caron said...

I do pretty much anything! It's just that these days, I felt like drawing them!

Metah said...

A really good job dude !

Jetah said...

Oh wow. This is very nice! Following.

Delicious Oophagy said...

The artwork is incredible, looking forward to more.

Kristof Unpronounceable said...

that's really impressive work. I like the way you accomplished it..thanks.

Jon said...

man it is cool you do art about TMNT I loved them when I was a kid
played all the games watched all the movies and cartoons